Saturday, February 03, 2007

Sidebar: Braille for Chinese

Following on from the irrelevant but disturbingly attractive discussion on hearing aids and chinese tones, and the resulting avalanche of questions from Chris, I found myself trying to find out how blind Chinese people dealt with reading Braille.

You might think that this is just a simple matter of googling the words chinese and braille and selecting the first returned page. Well you'd be right. Feeling kind of smug now, aren't you.

Well then, can you figure out how the Chinese braille system works before following that link? You probably think that it's nothing more than a braille representation of pinyin, don't you? You do, huh? Well you'd be right again (dammit). So now that smug feeling is transforming into something altogether more sinister - you're feeling rather self-satisfied and superior by now. Wondering what the hell you're even doing hanging round a blog entry like this, eh?

Right then - clear off! Go on!

Bloody intellectuals.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brendan that is priceless, I don't think any blog post has ever made me laugh this much (my wife thought I was choking).

Maybe it was just a happy coincidence that I was reading it at a speed that resulted in perfect comic timing, but anyhow, nice one.

I await with bated breath the results of any other extensive research you may perform.

Unknown said...

Chris,
My off-white lab coat and goggles are alluringly within reach. I can't promise that this won't happen again.